After almost a year of specifically working with clients on their social media, I’ve heard the same thing over and over again. “It’s too much! I’m already too busy with my business…social media is just ONE MORE THING!”
I get it, really…I do.
Take a deep breath. Social media works because it actually isn’t a THING to do, it’s simply a pathway to your ideal clients. It’s a way to reach out to people who actually want to do business with you. You need to start from you are at, not jump on the next newest thing that pops up. Sometimes it feels like you are getting caught under a big wave…yes?
Here’s a few things you can do to keep your head above water when you begin:
- LISTEN carefully to your existing clients. Where are they finding you? Where do they have conversations online? Where do they make plans with their friends? Start there.
- Stay FOCUSED, don’t try and do everything at once. We all know this rarely results in satisfaction. Get to know a platform & build your audience there.
- Use a BUDGET. No my friends, Social Media is NOT free. Your time has a value, your employees time costs you. Understand that there is a value to building an online community, calculate a budget that allows for growth, adjust as needed.
- Be YOU-NIQUE, develop your voice around your own personal strengths & quirks. People WANT to follow interesting people!
- ACKNOWLEDGE and build a relationship with your clients on and offline. Are you making it easy to be found? Are you answering questions? Asking questions? Build conversations, that’s where customers are solidified.
- Don’t be afraid to REACH OUT to influencers and invite them into your story, there are people who are already your biggest fans, allow them to share their excitement by helping them be part of the big picture. Do they get invited in for a special pre-sale? Can you ask them to post a review? A free lunch in exchange for a quick blog post? These things go FAR in the social realm, but you have to ask.
Life’s too short to not enjoy the promotion of your business, find a platform that works for you and wade in, the water is fine ;).