By Christie Jones
So here’s the thing: we love to support local, even when it comes down to social media. That’s why we love using Hootsuite as one of our scheduling and analytics tools, BUT…. It’s not perfect. Since we work with an abundance of small business owners and entrepreneurs, the biggest downfall to Hootsuite we see is that there is no longer a free version!! It used to be that individual users could have access to this awesome tool for free with up to 3 social media accounts attached, but that’s no longer the case.
Worry not, friends! This doesn’t mean all hope is lost if you want to start saving time by scheduling ahead. For the purpose of this blog post, we are going to be talking about one scheduling solution for Twitter- TweetDeck!
TweetDeck is a scheduling tool that has actually been acquired by Twitter, which is a good thing. That means these platforms work together to make the experience as seamless as possible, which often isn’t the case with other third-party tools. The best part? As of February 2018, TweetDeck is free to use. Those are words everybody likes to read when it comes to social media for biz.
So, how do you use it?
1) Sign in to your Twitter account
2) Open a new tab and type in https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/
3) Surprise!! TweetDeck made it easy for us busy folks, so you will see you already have a basic account set-up, attached to your Twitter profile.
You will most likely get a “welcome” message to give you some ideas as to how things work.
4) Set-up tabs according to what info you like to see
- TweetDeck will have given you some default tabs to check out, but hit “Add Column” on the left-hand side bar to add more important sections
- Like scheduled posts, @ mentions, messages, notifications, and more.
5) Start Scheduling!
Next, hit the “new tweet” button in the top left-hand corner, type in what you want to say, add a photo, hit “schedule tweet” to pick a date and time, then press “TWEET!”
- If you set-up “Scheduled” to be one of your TweetDeck tabs, refresh the screen and you will see your newly scheduled tweet there.
And there you have it! TweetDeck is an incredible time-saver once you get the hang of it. We’ll often set some time aside at the start of the week, and schedule in as much as we can to open up more time to engage with others online, and focus on coming up with new creative ideas for our clients. Most importantly if you’re a small business owner, scheduling ahead lets you focus on what you do best (your passion, of course)!